The name was written Fennisteigen in 1695. It is now pronounced Fìnnésteijén; han búr í, è ór Fìnnésteijè, ska í Fìnnésteìjén (or aot Finnesteìjè). The name is compounded from the farm name Finne (no. 43) and teig m. (pasture).
Finnesteigen, in the matrikel for 1723, was recorded with 12 mark in assessment and one farmer. The farmers at Finne were the owners. The farm was hard to farm, had medium soil and no forest or fishing. The assessment was the same in 1838 and was then converted to l dalar. There was adequate firewood forest and a little pine forest. The comparison number 5 was 150. The matrikel for 1865 lists 2 acres fields, /8 acre hay, 11⁄2 acres good,
1 acre medium natural meadow and 31⁄2 acres junk land. None is suitable for clearing. There was poor pasture, there was forest for home use and wood could be sold for 5 spd. a year. The farm was easy to farm, subject to landslides and tilled better than usual. In 1918, there were 23/8 acres fields, 23⁄4 acres hay and 21/8 acres natural meadow.
3 people lived there in 1801, 9 in 1865 and 14 in 1920.
Finnesteigen had always been an isolated farm. Einar was the tenant farmer in 1691 and Klas Miltzow owned the farm that had 12 mark in assessment. Kirsten Miltzow was the owner in 1695, and Sjur Olavson was the farmer then and in 1701. Laurits Basteson leased the farm in 1707. He was g. 1. m. Eli Tormodsdr., 2. 1718 m. Marta Godvinsdr. Tvinno and got with Eli the daughter Anngjerd f. 1712. Ivar Torgeirson Ullestad bought the farm from Joakim Friele in Bergen in 1734 for 40 rd. Ivar sold it again in 1735 to Olav Amundson. He was probably son to Åmund Olavson Finne, who in 1687 together with other soldiers from Voss was quartered at Hadeland. Ivar was g. m. Marta Olavsdr. Olav bought the redemption rights to Finnesteigen in 1759 for 63 rd. that G. Marselis had owned. Olav died in 1767, 65 years gl. and Marta in 1788, 90 years gl. They had four children: Olav g. 1754 m. Ragnhild Olavsdr. Himle, Hallkatla, g. 1760 m. Lars Knutson Haugo, Brita, g. 1766 m. Lars Mattisson Lekve and Anna g. 1783 after royal dispensation with Lars Andersson Svelgane. At the estate settlement in 1768, the farm was valued at 150 rd.
Lars Mattisson got the farm in 1768. It was said that he and Marta were engaged for 10 years, and he had mostly been in a garrison in Denmark. Lars died in 1816, 83 years gl. and Brita in 1826, 921⁄2 years gl. They had four children: Kolbein f. 1767, Marta f. 1770, g. 1803 m. Rognald Arnbjørnson in 1817, Nils f. 1811, g. 1848 m. Guri Ivarsdr. Tillung, farmer that Fjeli, Vossastr., and Knut f. 1814 who went to Salten in Nordland. Marta died in 1815, 44 years gl. and Rognald in 1842, 72 years gl. At the estate settlement in 1817, the farm was valued at 1800 rd., and the gross value was 3090 rd. (309 spd.).
Lars Rognaldson got the farm in 1831 for 270 spd. and was g. m. Marta Nilsdr. Nesthus f. 1808. He was a builder, made shoes and forged whatever was needed. Marta died in 1878, 70 years gl. and Lars in 1879, 75 years gl. They had eight children: Marta f. 1832, g. 1874 m. Gudleik Knutson Jernes, Olav f. 1834, Anna f. 1835, died in 1875, Nils f. 1838, Brita f. 1841, died in 1857, Marta f. 1845, died in 1857, Rognald f. 1848 (America), and Guri f. 1851, g. m. ekm. Åmund Knutson Glymme (America). Olav got married in 1864 m. Brita Knutsdr. Brekku, Gullfj., was a builder, had the farm four years and went in 1868 to America. One of the children, Lars Teigen, for a long time was state senator for Minnesota and a member of the Board of Regents for the state university. In the spring of 1868, about 30 people from the Teiga farms and Lutatræe, it is said went to America.
Nils Larsson got married in 1868 with Anna Josefsdr. Bjørgo f. 1844 and got the deed for the farm from his father for 500 spd. that same year. He worked at times with construction. Nils died in 1897 and Anna 1935. They had seven children who were grown: Lars in 1868, Olav f. 1872 (America), Nils f. 1874, g. m. Anna Olavsdr. Midtun, farmer at Midtun, Steffa f. 1877 blacksmith, Marta, in 1879, g. m. teacher Lars Brakestad, lived at Bjørku, Brita f. 1887 and Anna f. 1890. Lars got the farm for 2,000 crowns in 1899.
Finnesteigen was previously mtrno. 233, Ino. 458 with an old assessment of 12 mark, revised to l dalar 13 skill., revised to l dalar 2 ort 15 skill. The new assessment was 2.22 mark.
They didn’t have a sæter in 1723. Lars Rognaldson got in 1858 a deed for a sæter at Rapjane from Knut Gjelle for 75 spd. Before, Finnesteigen had a sæter farther down called Nerestødl’n and use it as a spring sæter now. There were frequent bears in the old times. One night, when Brita, Lars Mattisson’s wife, was going to close up, a bear came leaping after a cow. Brita thought it was a bull, hit him with her apron and shouted, “Go away, you nasty troll”. The bear quietly went his way and then Brita realized that it was a bear. Lars Rognaldson had a horse that was so brave that when he smelled the scent of a bear, he chased it away.
Cotters. Mikkjel Styrkson, g. m. Ragnhild Mattisdr., had a place at Saganestræe and had the children Gunnhild f. 1780, Torleiv f. 1783 and Ingjerd f. 1787. Mikkjel drowned out past Saganeset. There were no waterwheels in 1723 or 1791. Later, they have had mills in the lowest falls in Vanjolo. In 1870, Nils bought mill and water rights in Kvålsteigen from Anders Sveinson Kvåle.
Official proceedings: a lawsuit in 1701 about Finnesteigen between Gjelle and Finne. A hearing was held in 1737. A lawsuit in 1756 about the forest. Agreement in 1780 and in 1803 between Finne and Finnesteigen. Reapportionment in 1807. Division ruling in 1894 between Finne and Finnesteigen. Agreement in 1899 with Finne about fishing rights. Agreement 1907 with Voss Sawmill Company about the dam in Vanjolo. Voluntary reapportionment 1908 with Maksam, a strip of land at Vanjolo.
Illiterate marks. Lars in 1726, in 1727 table 9 no. 27, many changes in 1784.
On the lower side of the house is a high stone stairway with big flagstones and steps to both sides. From the house flagstones, a wooden bridge goes into the loft hallway. Under the wooden bridge, one can barely drive between the house stairs and the loft. Many farms had such an arrangement before. Rognald dug a channel from Ulvaskar stream to a brook that came down in Finnesteigen, and since then they had continuous water during the summer. — In Finnesteigen, a stone axe with a shaft-hole was found.
A legend says that those who first came to Finnesteigen were a married couple, the one from Saude in Viki and the other from Saude in Borstrondi.
Above Finnesteigen is Ulvaskaret (Wolfs’ Cut) in Gråside. In those parts there were, in older times, many wolves. It was thus prayed in the church to get rid of this wolf menace. When the people came out of the church that Sunday, they saw the last wolf running through the cut, it is said, and it since has been called Ulvaskaret.
Lydvateigen, in the matrikel and in the mortgage registry, was recorded as farm number 37, the same as for Lydvo, because it once belonged to Lydvo until it was separated from as bruks 4 and 5 in 1914 and 1916.
The Land Commission, in 1661, had listed Lydvateigen with 12 mark in assessment, Ingjerd Miltzow as owner and Ivar as farmer. In the matrikel for 1723 it says that Lydvateigen was cleared since “the old matrikel” from the farm Lydvo, and that the Lydvo men were the owners. It further said that there was no cotters’ place, forest, sæter, mills or fishing. The farm was easy to farm. The Land Commission, in 1661, had listed Lydvateigen with 12 mark in assessment, Ingjerd Miltzow as owner and Ivar as farmer. In the matrikel for 1723 it says that Lydvateigen was cleared since “the old matrikel” from the farm Lydvo, and that the Lydvo men were the owners. It further said that there was no cotters’ place, forest, sæter, mills or fishing. The farm was easy to farm and had middling soil. They winter-fed 5 large stock and 6 small stock and harvested 4 barrels grain. The assessment was the same in 1777 and in 1838, but in 1838, was converted together with the assessment at Lydvo. In the matrikel 3 for 1865 are listed 1⁄2 acres fields, /8 acres god, 21⁄4 acres medium natural meadowand 9 acres junk land. They winter-fed 21⁄2 large stock, 15 small stock and harvested 3 barrels grain and 21⁄2 barrels potatoes. At the census in 1918, there were 11/8 acres fields, 1 acre natural meadow and they winter-fed 2 large stock and 24 small stock. This information for 1865 and 1918 is calculated together with Lydvo.
Ivar Olavson and his wife Ingebjørg Nilsdr. are the first we know about who have lived there. They had leased from Ingjerd Miltzow before 1695 and died childless. The estate settlement was held in 1725. Nils Larsson was recorded as the tenant farmer in 1723 and had a lease contract from Laurits Miltzow. Nils drowned in 1736 together with four others on the way home from the church. Some of after mentioned cotters are listed at Lydvo in Volume 2. Steffa Olavson, g. m. Guri Nilsdr. had the daughters Ingebjørg f. 1730 and Marta f. 1732. Godvin Åmundson, g. m. Brita Eiriksdr. who died in 1747 had the children Torbjørg, Jørgen and Guri f. 1738—1743. Knut Nilsson had the son, Nils, f. 1738.
Olav Andersson had the children Anders f. 1737 and Marta f. 1742. Josef had the daughter Rannveig f. 1751. Kari Ivarsdr. died in 1748, 82 years gl. Torgeir lived there in 1763. Mons Larsson, g. m. Sigrid Andersdr. had the daughter Marta in 1777. Nils Ivarson f. 1769, g. 1791 m. Guri Olavsdr. Kolvu, f. 1759, had the daughters Ingjerd f. 1793 and Margreta f. 1796. Nils died in 1801 31 years gl. Gusskalk Larsson Endeve f. 1759, g. m. Kristi Knutsdr. Ullestad, had the children Brita f. 1801, g. 1837 m. Arnved Andersson Rong, Lars f. 1811 and probably more. Gusskalk died in 1815, 56 years gl. Johannes Andersson f. 1751, g. m. Synneva Mikkjelsdr. f. 1738 had the son Mikkjel f. 1774.
Olav Mikkjelson, g. m. Gjertrud Gusskalksdr., had the children Gusskalk f. 1824 and Brita f. 1835. Helge Gudbrandson probably from Røldal was a shepherd and lived at Lydvateigen. He died in 1864, 69 years gl. and had the children Nils f. 1836, died unmarried in 1862, Jon and Kari. They used the Tjedna sæter when they rounded up the reindeer. Nils Sveinson lived at Lydva- teigen from in 1840’s. He was f. 1809 at Lydvo, g. 1840 m. Herborg Knutsdr. Seim and died in 1892. Nils was so in love with singing and knew many ballads and songs. He died in 1892 and had the children Kristense f. 1843 (America), Åsa f. 1846, died unmarried in 1921, Guro f. 1850, died unmarried, and Knut f. 1853 (America). Ivar Ivarson died in 1851, 34 years gl. wife Torbjørg Johannesdr. died in 1851, 68 years gl. Knut Oddson Bø f. 1822 was g. 1849 m. Gudve Ivarsdr. Skjerpe f. 1819. During the winters, he worked a lot alum curing of reindeer skins and other hides. Alum curing was better than lye curing; the leather was finer and tolerated the moisture better. They had four children: Ivar f. 1849 (Nordland), Marta f. 1851, died unmarried in 1921, Odd f. 1855, died unmarried in 1882 and Knut (America). Ivar Ivarson Øvstedal, g. m. Synneva Olavsdr. Lavik lived there after Knut until he bought Tyrlingen.
Sjur Olavson Midtun came to Lydvateigen in the 1870’s. Before that, he had a place at Sundsteijen. He was f. 1830, g. 1. m. Sisselja Brynjulvsdr. Bulko, 2. 1871 m. Brita Larsdr. Graudo and 3. 1877 m. Brita Torsteinsdr. Tren. Sjur built boats and prepared and tanned leather, made leather garments and wooden containers. He worked with stamping at Bjørgo, in the Vinsand River and last in Vanjolo. He died in 1909 and had the children: Ingebjørg f. 1855, g. 1876 m. Knut Gitleson Rokne, Brynjulv f. 1862 (America), Olav f. in 1864 (America), Torstein f. in 1878, g. m. Ragnhild Ivarsdr. Tyrlingen who died in 1912 (Odda), Sjur, g. m. Mari Andersson, barber in Odda and Olav d. y. f. 1882, g. m. Anna Lekve, Ulvik,
Bruk 4. (Farm no. 37.) Lydvateigen. Set off from bruk l Lydvo in 1914 with an assessment of 62 øre and sold to Nils K. Mandelid for 3,000 crowns. He was f. 1883 and g. m. Brita Larsdr. He has built a new barn and cleared much on the farm.
Bruk 5. (Farm no. 37.) Lydvateigen. Separated from bruk l Lydvo in 1916. Assessment 28 øre. Nils K. Mandelid bought it for 1400 crowns.